Below you’ll find information about payroll options for:

  • Regular employees.

  • Temporary employees.

  • Graduate students.

  • Undergraduate students.

You'll also find tips for recruiting and training new employees and tracking employee timecards.

Have a question?

Contact the Business Center for questions related to payroll and hiring.

Email the Business Center

System Definitions

PageUp is a cloud-based system that UConn Human Resources (HR) uses to recruit and onboard new employees. The system tracks applications for all regular and special payroll job postings. It also houses an onboarding guide for the hiring department to assist in a smooth transition for New Employee Orientation.

Core-CT is the UConn employee self-service portal that processes new hires into the University’s payroll system. It also houses timecards for all UConn employees, including student workers, as well as information regarding housing tax forms, direct deposit, personal information, benefits, and leave management.

Tips for Reporting Time in Core-CT

  • Time reporting employees use Core-CT to report hours.
  • Select Core-CT Sign On and log in using your NetID.
  • To fill out your timecard, select Timesheet under the Time and Labor heading.
  • Enter hours worked in 0.25 hour increments (i.e. 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, or 1.0).
  • Enter the appropriate code in the Time Reporting Code field.
  • Typical codes include REG (regular time), HOL (holiday time), or VAC (vacation time).
  • View a full list of CoreCT Time Reporting Codes.
  • Click on the Submit button to save the hours that you have entered for the pay period.


Regular Payroll

Regular payroll is used for full-time employees of the University (9-month and 12-month appointments). Examples include:

  • Tenure-track faculty.
  • Full-time teaching and research faculty.
  • Department administrators.
  • Administrative staff.
  • Research staff.

Staff positions use Core-CT to fill out and submit their time cards on a bi-weekly basis. Managers are responsible for approving time cards. The University uses PageUp to post job descriptions and to recruit for open regular payroll positions. See the section below on hiring for details.

For more information, please visit the UConn Payroll website or contact the Business Center.

Special Payroll

Special payroll is used for short-term seasonal, part-time, or temporary appointments. These appointments are assigned for six months or less. Examples include but are not limited to:

  • Adjunct professors.
  • Academic specialists.
  • Graduate student:
    • All graduate assistants exceeding 20 hours of work during the academic year must be put on special payroll as a graduate assistant overload.
    • All graduate students working over the summer must be paid a stipend via a PageUp appointment. The stipend should be no less than their compensation during the academic year.
  • Public service specialist.
  • Research specialist/technicians.

View the UConn HR’s Special Payroll Manual for a list of special payroll titles and definitions.

If a special payroll employee is being paid hourly, they would use Core-CT to submit their time cards on a bi-weekly basis. Managers are responsible for approving time cards. The University uses PageUp to post job descriptions and to recruit for open special payroll positions. See section below on hiring for details.

For more information, please visit the UConn HR web page on special payroll or contact the Business Center.

Hiring for Regular and Special Payroll

All regular payroll and special payroll hire requests are processed through PageUp, with the exception of gratis (non-paid) appointments.

Visit the UConn Human Resources website for quick step guides, tutorials, and resources for using PageUp.

Once a candidate is selected and the search chair submits a new hiring request, PageUp will route the request through several levels of approval, including the unit head (CLAS Dean) and the Department of Human Resources. The system will auto-generate emails to relevant users during each step of the approval process. After HR approves and finalizes the request, the search chair can extend an offer letter to the selected applicant.

Once the offer letter has been signed and returned, the search chair will need to complete a Core-CT transaction and submit any additional necessary backup documentation.

Background checks are required for all first-time regular payroll new hires. If an employee has a break in service longer than a year, a background check is also required. Background checks are not conducted for instructor positions such as adjunct faculty or instructional specialist. Background checks cost an average of $85 per person and the cost is the department’s responsibility.


Graduate Payroll

All graduate students performing research or teaching duties must be employed on graduate payroll during the academic year. This includes graduate assistantships.

  • Graduate students should be enrolled in at least 6 credits to be eligible to receive a graduate assistantship.
  • Graduate students must be employed at a minimum of 50% (10 hours per week).
  • Graduate assistantships should coincide with the semester or academic year dates.
  • Graduate assistants can only work up to 20 hours on graduate payroll during the academic year.
  • Graduate tuition is waived when a student has an assistantship, with the exception of their course fees, which can be deduced from their paychecks or taken in a lump sum payment.
  • Tuition waivers only apply to graduate assistants who are employed at a minimum of 50% (10 hours per week).

In some cases, graduate assistants’ research or teaching duties may exceed 20 hours per week. Units may pay for these GA Overloads via Special Payroll using the title Graduate Overload Teaching or Graduate Overload Research. Departments need to seek Graduate School approval prior to offering an overload to a student through the Graduate Assistant Supplemental Employment Approval Form. The unit should upload a Dual Employment Form and a copy of the approved Supplemental Employment Form with the PageUp request for Grad Overload Teaching along with the GA Overload Confirmation Letter. Forms can be located on the Graduate School's website.

Graduate assistants must be assigned teaching or research duties for Special Payroll GA Overloads. Graduate assistants serving in administrative or other roles should be placed on student labor. Learn more on the Graduate School’s website.

Core-CT Processing Tips

Continuations from fall to spring should be submitted on a data change template. The appointment date within the transaction should reflect a start date of 8/23/xx.

Funding changes do not need an offer letter attached, while every other change should contain the applicable letter.

The payroll record for the graduate student is owned by the academic department.

Academic Year vs. Summer Employment

Graduate payroll during the academic year, unlike regular and special payroll (for grads in the summer), does not begin with entering a request into a system for approval. Once a candidate is selected, the department can extend an offer letter to the student. This process comes after the graduate student accepts an offer from UConn to attend a graduate program. Upon acceptance of the offer and receipt of the signed letter back from the student, the department must submit a Core-CT transaction, which will route to CLAS Shared Services and then to UConn Payroll. Please note that if you are in a non-academic area, meaning that you do not offer a degree or certificate, the transaction will need to be processed by the home department.

Graduate payroll is only effective during the academic year. Over the summer, the department must put the graduate student on a special payroll teaching appointment in Core-CT. The job code should be the same in PageUp and Core-CT as Grad. Student Tech.

Undergraduate Student Payroll

CLAS departments can hire students to help with tasks related to administration, teaching, and research. Departments submit job postings and process applications using the UConn JobX system. JobX is used to hire both work-study and student labor positions.

Students must complete W4 and CT-W4 forms either online or in a paper format before they can begin employment. Direct deposit forms can also be filled out either online or in paper format. For questions or help with setting up student employment, please contact the Business Center.

Core-CT Processing Tips

Student payroll employees use Core-CT to fill out and submit their time cards on a bi-weekly basis. In addition to the Core-CT reporting tips listed above, here are some additional instructions for students employees:

  • Student employees with multiple jobs will have multiple employee records.
  • When entering time, select the record number of the job for which time is being reported.
  • Student employees with multiple jobs will receive one paycheck per job.