The following is helpful information for administrators regarding payroll processing for graduate students, student payroll, and special payroll. 

Graduate Payroll

All graduate students performing like duties of research or teaching graduate assistants must be employed on graduate payroll during the academic year.

  • Graduate students should be enrolled in at least 6 credits to be eligible to receive a graduate assistantship.
  • Graduate students need to be employed at a minimum of 50% (10 hours per week).
  • Graduate assistantships should coincide with the semester or academic year dates.
  • Graduate assistants can only work up to 20 hours on graduate payroll during the academic year. If an overload occurs, the department must request to have it paid on special payroll.
  • Graduate tuition is waived when a student has an assistantship, with the exception of their course fees, which can be deduced from their paychecks or taken in a lump sum payment.

CORE Processing Tips

  • Continuations from fall to spring should be submitted on a data change template. The appointment date within the transaction should reflect a start date of 8/23/xx.
  • Funding changes do not need an offer letter attached, while every other change should contain the applicable letter.
  • The payroll record for the graduate student is owned by the academic department.

Academic Year vs. Summer Employment

Graduate Payroll during the academic year, unlike regular and special payroll (for grads in the summer), does not begin with entering a request into a system for approval. Once a candidate is selected, an offer letter can be extended to them (this process comes after the graduate students have accepted an offer from UConn to attend our graduate program). Upon acceptance of the offer and receipt of the signed letter back from the student, a core transaction must be submitted, which will route to CLAS Shared Services and then to payroll. Please note that if you are in a non-academic area, meaning that you do not offer a degree or certificate, the transaction will need to be processed by the home department.

  • Graduate payroll is only effective during the academic year. Over the summer, students are to be put on a special payroll teaching in CORE.
  • Subcode 7012UP should be the same in SPAR and CORE as Grad. Student Tech.
Back to Top

Student Payroll

The following instructions explain how students should enter their hours into their timecard in CORE-CT:

  1. All student employees will login to Core-CT via to report their time. Use Internet Explorer or Chrome as your browser for best results.
  2. Click on the NetID Login button to open the NetID Single Sign On page. Login using your University NetID and password.
  3. Click Timesheet under Time and Labor on the Core-CT homepage to open your timesheet.
    Note: Employees with multiple jobs will have multiple employee records. When entering time, select the record number of the job for which time is being reported.
  4. Enter hours worked in 0.25 hour increments. (i.e. 0.25, 0.5, 0.75, or 1.0)
  5. Enter REG in the Time Reporting Code field.
  6. Click on the Submit button to save the hours that you have entered for the pay period.
  7. W4 and CT-W4 forms must be completed either online or in paper format. Direct deposit forms can also be filled out either online or in paper format.

Note: Student employees with multiple jobs will receive one paycheck per job.

Special Payroll

Special Payroll is used for short-term seasonal, part-time, or temporary appointments lasting less than on year. Examples include but are not limited to:

  • Adjunct professors
  • Academic specialists
  • Graduate student technicians
    • All graduate students working over the summer are to be paid a stipend via a SPAR appointment, not less than their compensation during the academic year.
    • All graduate assistants exceeding 20 hours of work during the academic year must be put on special payroll as a graduate assistant overload.
      • Requires Dual form and Grad School Supplemental form
  • Public service specialist
  • Special payroll lecturer

Visit the Department of Human Resources website for a full list of titles.

All special payroll appointments, with the exception of gratis (non-paid) appointments, start with the submission of a Special Payroll Authorization Request (SPAR).

Once submitted, the SPAR will route through several levels of approval, including the unit head (CLAS Dean) and the Department of Human Resources. With each approval and the initial submission, an auto-generated email will be sent to the applicable people notifying them of the request. After HR approves, the request will need to be finalized and the offer letter can be extended to the potential employee. Only once this is done is it entered as a core transaction.

Once the offer letter has been signed and returned, the CORE transaction will need to be completed along with any additional necessary backup documentation.

Things to note: For instructor positions such as adjunct faculty or instructional specialist, background checks will not be conducted. These cost an average of $85 per person and the cost is the department’s responsibility. Background checks only need to occur once as of fall 2014, and then for any new hire thereafter. However, if an employee had a break in service longer than a year, a background check will be needed again.

Back to Top